hats on people // Amy and Jared

May 17, 2012

One of my favorite parts of the Hats On People project is getting to make hats for couples. It's so much fun seeing folks posing together, showing off hand knits with a loving twinkle in their eyes! I know Amy Palmer of The Blank Pages thanks to the internet. Her blog is amazing, and one of the few I make a point to check in on every single day, no matter what. And while she and her man Jared live in Florida, I never pass on the opportunity to make folks hats - if she was game, so was I!
Amy's Hat
pattern: Viscose, by Drops Design (free pattern!)  
yarn: Mary Maxim Starlette in soft coral (purchased locally)  
needles: sizes US 8 / 5.0 mm and US 10 / 6.0 mm

Deceptively simple in design, this hat was a treat to knit! While the pattern calls for cotton viscose yarn (hence the name) I whipped Amy's up in an acrylic yarn. I'm not the biggest fan of working with cotton, and have found that whenever I use it I hate the project so much I never finish it! The coral color (picked by Amy) looks AMAZING on her, and the hat seems to fit like a dream! I've spied her sporting it in several Instagram photos, so I know she didn't just toss it on for this photo shoot and then hide it away in the back of her closet!

Jared's Hat

pattern: Traveller's Hat, by Sue Jackson (Ravelry link, free pattern!)
yarn: stashed white and grey acrylic  
needles: size US 9 / 5.5 mm

 Jared's hat came with a very specific request. While he loved the look of the Traveller's Hat, he didn't want something so slouchy. So I borrowed a different set of decreases from another hat pattern, shortened up the number of stripes, and hoped for the best. The hat still slouches a teensie bit, but looks amazing on Jared (and slouches far less than the original pattern) - and rumor has it he loves it, so that's good!

To view more photos of these hats in action during Amy and Jared's adorable couple's photo shoot, head on over to Amy's blog The Blank Pages. All photos shared in this post were snagged from that post with Amy's permission!

Post a Comment

Instagram