hats on people // Grace Boyle

Jul 2, 2012


I was put in touch with Grace Boyle, author of the amazing blog Small Hands, Big Ideas, thanks to fellow Hats On People alum Elisa. Grace lives just a state away from me in gorgeous Boulder, Colorado, and got super excited at the thought of a hat she could wear both on the mountain (she's a snowboarder!) and off. She picked her hat and color (love the bright green she chose!) and I got down to business. Little did either of us know a super crazy heat wave was about to hit her town, and wearing a hat even long enough to snap some photos became an exercise in insanity! Grace pulled it off though, snapping the photos you see above for me.




pattern: Viscose, by Drops Design (free pattern!)
yarn: Hobby Lobby's I Love This Yarn! in jellybean (a true green); approximately 1/3 of the skein  
needles: sizes US 8 / 5.0 mm and US 10 / 6.0 mm

 I officially love knitting this pattern. The yarn-overs add a lace element along with the ability to wear this hat in warmer months, but the denseness of the fabric means this is a hat that will still keep your head warm all winter long - perfect for a snowboarder like Grace! The first time I knit this hat I knew I liked it, but thanks to this second round I know it will make the regular knitting rotation for the winter. The pattern is easy to memorize and execute while riding in the car or talking to someone, which is all but a requirement for my charity knits. The pattern has proven it looks good in a variety of colors (this bright green, Amy's more muted coral), which means i can grab any skein from my stash and trust the hat will make it look amazing.

Post a Comment

Instagram