Vermonter in Fisherman

Mar 5, 2013


pattern: The Vermonter, by Abi Gregorio  
yarn: Lion Brand Wool Ease Thick & Quick (66 yards, including pom)  
needles: size US 15 / 10.0 mm 16" circs and dpns

The first Vermonter Hat for March is off the needles, and I couldn't be happier I chose this pattern for this little project! Most of the Thick & Quick I've got in my stash is in small enough balls that these hats will end up striped the remainder of the month. But I had this skein of fisherman (and possibly one other skein of green) that had enough yardage for a solid colored hat, so I used it to test out the pattern exactly as written.

I cast on just 42 stitches -- the hat is meant to fit a pre-teen, and the pattern calls for a decrease to this number before the crown shaping anyhow, so I eliminated the extra stitches from the beginning. And I'm glad I did! The hat fits me perfectly as-is, so I know it'll fit an older child as well. Every other bit of the hat I knit according to pattern; there wan't a need to change any little bit! Although going forward I don't know that I'll make poms. They eat up yarn yardage, and I want to make as many of these hats as possible. And besides, my poms always end up huge and a bit ridiculous looking!

This hat took just less than three hours of knit time, spread out over a weekend day. I love that it worked up so fast -- this means I'll be able to get the entire bulky stash knit up this month for sure! And the pattern is easy to remember, so there's no time wasted looking up instructions once you get the thing memorized! A winner for sure.

Post a Comment

Instagram