Charity HAL: Hat Count Update

Jun 9, 2014


We're just a few weeks away from the Charity HAL being done, and hats are starting to show up in the PO Box more frequently. It's so much fun to open that little door and see keys for the lockers, knowing it means there's hats waiting for me!

These hats were all in the last run I made, which was on Friday. Thanks to them, the hat total is now at 159 hats collected! This is so amazing, and I know it means so many kids will be warmer this coming winter, with less sickness for sure, thanks to these hats!

It also means, however, that we're still a long way from our goal of 2,000 hats collected by the end of June for the Charity HAL drive. If you've got hats waiting to send, remember you've only got a few more weeks to get them to me for them to count towards the giveaway (although I'll take them at any time after that as well if you don't get them sent in time).

And for those that aren't sure what I'm talking about, here's all the info:

THE CHARITY:

We'll be sending 2,000 hats to Completely Kids, a non-profit local to Omaha that serves 2,000+ kids between preschool and middle school that live at or below the poverty line through Out-of-School Time and Family Strengthening programs in communities where they live. These kids live in my neighborhood, walking to school in the winter without hats and coats because their families can't afford to buy them. The fact that this many kids in my city live in poverty breaks my heart, and while I can't raise every family's income level, I can help provide warm hats.

THE PATTERNS:

The Shanti Hat (pictured above left) is a crochet hat pattern featuring sizes for preemie through adult, and is perfect for crocheters of any skill level. The Cottage Cap (pictured above right) is a knitting pattern featuring a broken rib design, and is great for first-time hat makers!

SUGGESTED YARN:

While you can certainly make your Charity HAL hats from any yarn you have on-hand, Heather is partnering up with Noble Knits to bring a great discount on Ewe Ewe Washable Worsted for those who want to use that yarn for their hats! Simply load your Noble Knits cart up with Ewe Ewe Wooly Worsted and enter the code CHARITYHAL (not case sensitive) at check-out to receive a 25% discount!

SEND YOUR HATS TO:

When you finish your hats, simply send them along to me at:

Robyn Devine
Charity Hat-Along
PO Box 6093
Omaha, NE
68106

I'll share regular updates that include photos of the hats I've received!

THE GIVEAWAY:

When you send your hats to me, be sure to tag each hat with your full name and e-mail address to be entered into the giveaway. Heather created these Charity HAL hat tags for you to use to make it super easy! Simply click on the link and print as many sheets as you need! For each tagged hat, you are entered to win one of five prizes! Each prize includes: A copy of my new book, She Makes Hats Two skeins of Wooly Worsted from Ewe Ewe Yarns A stitch marker set from Wine Maker's Sister plus a few extras!

SHARE YOUR HATS:

As you whip hats off your hooks and needles, be sure to snap a photo and use the hashtag #CharityHAL on Instagram so we know you're participating! I'll be re-gramming finished hats often to the She Makes Hats instagram feed as well!

Follow along with me on Instagram || @shemakeshats
Follow along with Heather on Instagram || @eweeweyarns

Post a Comment

Instagram