Owlet For Lou

Oct 21, 2014



Pattern: Owlet, by Kate Davies (Ravelry link and purchase)
Yarn: 1.5 skeins Lion Brand Wool Ease (197 yards a skein)
Needles: US 7 / 4.5 mm and US 8 / 5.0 mm circulars and dpns

I just cannot. Can you?! Best part is, if you make the photo bigger, you can see the HUGE THING OF DROOL rolling out of her mouth. I love that Casie didn't edit that out, truly I do. It's so Lou at this age, and something I'm so happy she got on film!

This is the first of the family sweaters off the needles, and I have to say such a fun and easy pattern! Let's talk pattern for a minute, shall we? This one comes with enough sizes to make a sweater for everyone from the tiniest baby up through a pre-teen, so the almost $7 price tag is totally worth it. I've already got plans to make three more as holiday presents for some of Lou and Owen's friends, as well as making one for Owen, it's such a cute sweater!

For Lou, I made size 3, which is a 12 month size. She could have fit into the smaller size, but I'm pretty sure she'd also have grown out of said smaller size by the time winter fully hits, and while I know I'll be making her more little sweaters, I also want to be practical. Making a sweater that will fit her for the full fall/winter season made the most sense.

The pattern flies off the needles, it truly does! Mostly stockinette, in such a small size I was to the owls before I realized I'd been knitting a sweater, and remarked several times that THIS. THIS IS THE WAY TO MAKE A SWEATER!

I made exactly zero modifications as I went, and the sweater ended up gorgeous and just right. I was originally going to make it grey, but then we had fall-themed family photos coming up so I grabbed some pumpkin colored yarn instead, and went to work. There was just enough left of the two skeins to make her this cute headband (details coming soon enough!), and maybe a tiny bit left for a striped hat somewhere down the line. 

Love it. Love that I can check it off a list, love that she loved wearing it, love that now I want to make more!

Post a Comment

Instagram