Gallatin Scarf

Mar 6, 2016


Pattern: Gallatin Scarf, by Kris Basta (free pattern)
Yarn: Hobby Lobby I Love This Yarn! Solids (I used 165 yards, so about 1/2 of a skein)
Needles: US 10.5 / 6.5mm

It was mentioned yesterday in a comment that maybe I was just a bit burnt out on knitting hats, and I'm pretty sure that was the truest statement ever made!

With Renfrew still sitting, waiting for decreases to happen, I cast on Gallatin after a late-night Raverly binge wherein I found project after project being added to my queue. I'm not even sure how I happened upon the pattern for Gallatin (which is offered free on Kris' website), but after showing it to several different people, and each of them falling in love with the scarf, I knew I had to give it a try.

I cast on for Gallatin on Thursday after school, and was binding off and weaving in ends on Saturday morning. This quick knit definitely got me fully out of my knitting slump, gave me a cute scarf to wear on the colder spring days, and got me so excited to keep knitting I immediately grabbed my Renfrew hat and finished it as well!

This scarf is perfect for those who knit to donate - the lace is super beginner-friendly, the scarf isn't bulky at all (which makes it perfect for folks in all sorts of temperatures and situations), it can be wrapped loosely around the neck like a scarf or twisted around like a cowl (by tucking the ends in), and it can be made in wool, acrylic OR even cotton! I've already got plans for some rogue skeins of acrylic in my stash that I didn't know what to do with - they will make gorgeous Gallatin scarves!

Plus, the pattern is simple to remember, and takes just a few evenings of non-concentrated work to finish! I knit on mine while playing trains with Owen, watching Curious George with Lou, and even while having a beer at the end of the night with Zach!

As for donations, while I'll be keeping this first grey Gallatin for myself, I know I'll be making more for donation. Any I make out of wool will be sent on to Nest Maine, but all the ones I plan to make in acrylic? I'll be sending those on to the Pine Ridge Reservation! There is a group on Ravelry that is always sending donations to this area of the country that is so steeped in poverty it makes me a bit sick, and I know the scarves will be used and loved there!

2 comments :

Instagram